Simon is a barrister specialising in commercial law and all aspects of commercial litigation and arbitration. He advises and acts in commercial disputes in a broad range of areas, with particular expertise in insurance and reinsurance, shipping, energy and natural resources, and professional negligence, as well as general commercial disputes. Simon is listed in Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners as a leading junior in insurance and reinsurance and in energy.
Described in the legal directories as an “exceptionally talented” and “user-friendly” barrister, who is “impressive and very alive to the needs of both the client and the instructing solicitor”, “very effective and good on his feet” and “produces work of the highest quality”, Simon has been involved in a large number of high profile commercial cases in the Commercial Court, in the appellate courts and in arbitration. His work is split evenly between cases in the High Court and those involving arbitration, whether English arbitration, international arbitration (under rules such as ICC, UNCITRAL or LCIA) or “Bermuda Form” arbitration.
Notable recent cases:
- In 2018/2019, Simon represented an international oil services and production company in its long-running drilling and completion services dispute (worth several hundred million US dollars) with a South American national oil company, in UNCITRAL arbitration in London.
- In 2017 and 2018, Simon acted for the insurer (in London arbitration) in a claim for several hundred million dollars regarding “upheaval buckling” damage to a North Sea oil pipeline project.
- Simon acted for the insurance brokers, Marsh, in a £10m claim (in the Commercial Court) for professional negligence which concerned Bankers’ Blanket Bond insurance cover: Bank of London and the Middle East Plc v ACE European Group (2016).
- In 2016, Simon also appeared for the claimant (in arbitration) in a high value commercial dispute concerning a long-term transhipment contract.
- From 2014 to 2016, Simon acted for insurers (in LCIA arbitration) in an energy and construction insurance claim for several hundred million dollars concerning a high-profile construction project in Latin America.
- In 2014, Simon acted for an overseas government in its claims for compensation (in ICC arbitration) against an oil company under a long-term Petroleum Sharing Agreement (PSA).
- Rolls-Royce Plc v Marsh UK Ltd: In 2013/2014, Simon acted for the insurance brokers, Marsh, in a claim for £70m which was brought against them by Rolls-Royce in the Commercial Court for alleged professional negligence. Simon also acted for Marsh and their solicitors, Slaughter & May, in the related injunction proceedings (commenced in the Chancery Division) concerning confidentiality and legal professional privilege.
- Simon acted for the insured in a series of insurance claims made (in arbitration) under insurance policies on the “Bermuda Form”, concerning environmental pollution in the United States.
- Simon acted for insurers, in the Commercial Court, in Société Générale v. Württembergische Versicherung AG & Ors  EWHC 3112 (Comm), which concerned the insurance claim for US$487m in respect of the alleged misappropriation of approximately 15 metric tonnes of gold bullion.
- Simon acted for Equitas in the leading reinsurance case of Equitas Ltd v R & Q Reinsurance Co (UK) Ltd  Lloyd’s Rep. IR 600, which concerned claims for indemnity from reinsurers under contracts written within the “LMX spiral”.
- Simon acted for the insured in Al Habtoor Motors v Dubai National Insurance & Reinsurance Co in its insurance claim for damage to over 6,000 vehicles, which was caused by a freak hail-storm in Dubai.
Simon is the author of the three chapters in Carver on Charterparties (1st edition, 2017, Sweet & Maxwell) on damages and other remedies for breach of charterparty. He is also the co-author of a book on liability insurance which is due to be published in 2022.